A place to breathe

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Plank Constant

I like Physics, but I never really like to take Physics tests because most of the time, I flunk them.

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard about Quantum Theory? If you don't really have any idea about it, or you've forgotten about it, you can start reading on a constant called "Plank Constant".

It's really interesting to see that the Plank Constant actually has energy and time incorporated into it. Basically, that the "energy of vibrating molecules is quantized". It means, it's not continuous , but it jumps from one level of energy to the next level of energy. How does this make sense? What we've learned so far is that, all things matters continue. For example, if I throw a ball up on the air, the ball doesn't jump from one level to next level (even if you throw it up on staircase), it "continues" and you can specifically point out the coordinate where exactly the ball is at any instant. But Max Plank's idea doesn't go by this logic.

Basically, what he says is that, at any point, the energy level jumps from one stage to another. This doesn't really go well with classical physics that we've learned in high school. Imagine you're throwing a ball up on the air, and the ball jumps from one level to next level. Maybe you say I'm crazy.

If you see carefully, the constant really doesn't make any sense. It seems like a random number multiplied by another small random number (it's in Joule.seconds):



( Reference )

Max Plank's work precedes the rest of the more interesting concept in Physics that we have today. He basically discovers the Physics for the new century.

3 comments:

syamsulhasran said...

i meant to write more

njahmat said...

syamsul!
how are u?
how's penang treating u?
haha.
am taking a Global Warming class right now.
And yes, we use Plank Constant in many of the formulas we learnt in class.
Hehe, I've been meaning to update my blod entries.
But malas betul.
-nj-

Unknown said...

hi nj,
Penang is great.! So how does Plank Constant related to Global Warming? I'm interested to know

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.