A place to breathe

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Football: the EPL phenomena v. our country's football

I just came back from the makan stall again and this time, watching Man U. v. Tottenham while eating there. I watch half-way. I came back early because my "nasi goreng + telur mata" set was over and the match bores me.

Oh, why? Wasn't it that Man U. team was supposed to be the greatest on the earth football player team?

Wrong.

They're the most "popular" and the most commercialized football team in the world. They are heavily merchandized, and the players look like super-heroes.
I don't like how Tevez play btw. And I think they suck.

So when the play is boring, I mean it.

I'm not a football fan, so I have nothing to judge compared to you, the "otaku" of EPL. But hey, I don't like EPL, instead, I like Formula 1 better. So it's just that.

The number thing you have to ask yourself is this - do you like EPL, or do you like football?
Do you like EPL just because everyone is watching it, or do you like it because, you do?
I hope you like EPL because you like it, not because for some reason so many people watch it at mamak stall, and therefore, you should too.

I like football but not obsessed with it. I don't play football for centuries now and won't likely to play it anytime soon. The last serious venture into football was playing for my kampung primary school. But that's nothing.

So the number two question that I have is this: if there are so many people genuinely love football in this country (as demonstrated by their overwhelming interest in EPL) , why the heck that I see a lack of interest in Malaysia cup?

Another puzzle, why the Stadium Bandaraya was half empty the last time I went to Penang v. Negeri Sembilan match? Something is definitely wrong, and here's my reasoning:

1. People don't watch Malaysia cup match because the quality is "bad".

2. The quality is bad is because the players are badly trained

3. The players are badly trained because the state has limited funding to train them, and give attractive salaries

4. Players demotivated, and therefore play badly.

5. When the team play badly, people don't want to watch at stadium and say "I better spend my RM10 somewhere else. After all, I can watch EPL at mamak for free (well, a cup of teh tarik will do) and they play much better"

6. When the stadium generates less revenue, state has less funding.

7. The "state-funded" team go for "private-funded" and the Malaysia cup become a mess

8. The 'imported players' later are banned because they can't afford to pay that much.

9. All of the above created "bad Malaysia cup match".

10. The match now become so uncompetitive and "abandoned", even Singapore doesn't want to enter.

Somebody didn't do much thinking eh? I didn't either. It's easy to see that we're not competitive because we're blindfolded by protectionism. We failed to compete. We failed in the global world. The world has moved to become more "flat". Look at Singapore. Who are playing? A lot of their players are foreigners given Singaporean citizenship. Do we need to do that? No no.

All we need is just to devise competitive game plan - salary, more friendly matches, generate interest on Malaysia cup, get best players.

Then the match at Stadium Bandaraya is more rewarding than that EPL in mamak stall.

Sekian

MAJULAH SUKAN UNTUK NEGARA.


No comments:

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.