A place to breathe

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Charlie Wilson's War

I was eating at the stall down at my apartment, and saw this movie on Astro. It was already in the middle of the story, but I decided to watch it and finish it off.

It was Tom Hanks as "Charlie" and Julia Roberts as "Joanne" so it must be a damn good movie to begin with. And yes, it was telling a history-making story, about the Afghan-Soviet war in the late 1980s.

It shows how the United States was funding the war via CIA. It portrays Charlie's personal war against the Soviets.

Joanna sort of "seduced" him and showed him around, meeting Pakistan's leader, convincing him that he has to go through the process and get the funding to help the Afghan fight back the Soviets invaders.

He did. And he did it in a big way. With initial funding of USD5 mil, it went to more than USD200 mil.

Although the movie portrayed the Afghan war as Charlie's personal war, I don't personally think that it's that simple.

I don't think we should attribute this war to Charlie alone. No doubt he is the main character in the event, but the fact that there was a Cold War could explain much interplay between characters that resulting into the winning of Afghan against the Soviet.

But as history shows to us, in later years, the kids who survive on the Afghan land are the very people who retaliate back against the U.S. Why?

Or is it? Who's behind this.

Another Charlie?

No comments:

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.