A place to breathe

Friday, August 24, 2018

Expressing Emotions : Machines v. Humans

Finally I have breathing space to catch my blog. As if I'm so busy!
As a matter of fact, I am.

Well, for the most part, i'm spending time talking to machines and people. There are differences between the two - machines don't understand your emotions, although I know some of you might be attached to your own machines as if they're alive. Please lah. Don't do that.

People on the other hand, understand emotions. However, some people don't express their emotions in words or body languages. Sometimes, they show it through actions as well. These are the things you can never experience if you talk to machines.

By talking to machines, I don't mean that I talk to my family or friends over the phone or Internet. I mean, by writing programming languages or some actions such as issuing commands, or just pressing restart button.

Ok, so what's a big deal? Well, wouldn't it be nice if the machines can understand your emotions such that when you're interacting with the machines, you trick yourself as if you're talking to a human being?

Yea. That's the stuff of the computer world right now. A lot of effort technology companies do to achieve this. Somehow humans are now more comfortable talking to machines like Alexa and Google Home than actually go over dinner with friends. So the IT space just ride the waves.

I mean, really? Do we really need it? That machines takes over human in terms of communications?
I predict that in the next few years, the machines could actually do reasonably well at that. I mean, look at what has it gobbled:
1. Alarm clock - better.
2. Letters - fast and cheap ( except receiving saman and bills, I don't get letters from my friends anymore. I wish I have).
3. Commerce.

Ok i don't need to go on and on.

However, what machines lacks are actually actions. Stuff like mechatronics and connects to its AI brains. I just don't think we can achieve things like human does when it comes to expressing their emotions through actions. This is the only thing that I think robots can't easily emulate for the next few hundred years.

That means, humans can survive as ... well, human being.
For the next hundreds of years.








No comments:

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.