A place to breathe

Monday, August 11, 2014

Fixing ReCom's forum

Recently, I've decided to fix ReCom's forum (www.recom.org) once and for all. I've enough of VB and I don't want to be adding custom codes and all variety of silly markups just to be broken on the next upgrade.

The last (hasty) upgrade that we did, we broke so many functions that the site is really unusable. I am very disappointed and I don't want to spend anymore time on VB. I blame it on myself for trusting VB.

OK enough ranting.

After a few days of searching, I've decided to migrate ReCom's VB forum. I figured that the work is so much that I quit my full time to work on it full time (of course, I have other things to work on as part time to support myself for a few months). In addition, I am turning it into startup for obvious reason that if i don't do it, the Forum will find its death thanks to the VB 4.x upgrade.

We're going to migrate to Discourse.

After a few days reading and trying out, I manage to install Discourse development on the VPS. But the really bad problem that I have is we have so much dependencies on Rails and I really don't like to way I need to install so many packages on the VPS.

Fortunately, the Discourse team is recommending to use Docker. I decided to then just follow their setups and so far so good.

When installing, I realize that I didn't configure "smtp.example.com" to be ReCom's email.
That would be my next move: to configure email



No comments:

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.