A place to breathe

Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Making of the Atomic Bomb

I spent my whole entire weekend finishing up reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb .

I must say that it is a carefully researched piece. The author (Richard Rhodes) paying attention to such details that make the reading very pleasant and visual reconstruction of the scene clearer.

Note that I didn't understand almost 3/4 of the physics explained (I didn't take many physics courses). But a lot of new things such as Uranium enrichment, fission, nuclear reactor, cyclotron, calutron, racetracks, plutonium etc make me wonder just how much I appreciate nuclear physics.

The atomic bomb dilemma is thus, the advancement of nuclear physics was causing the dropping of two atomic bombs that ended World Word 2. On the one hand, the atomic bomb ends the war, on the other hand, it opens up a new era of possible mass destruction of human being, far beyond what our forefathers have witnessed.

I sincerely hope that there will be no more nuclear arm race, and the world will stay safe as it is now.

2 comments:

funzool said...

akum acul
baru aku teringat hang kat penang
penang kat na?
aku kt penang gak ni, nnt sms no hang kat aku, kosong satu tiga, tiga semilan kosong, dua tujuh kosong kosong
btw, salam ramadhan

zul aka funzool

syamsulhasran said...

yep, penang it is ;)

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.