A place to breathe

Monday, May 18, 2009

Left-hand electric guitar

I feel like being discriminated when trying to look for a left-handed guitar last weekend. Before I tell the story, here are my previous tricks to playing lefthand:

1. Play the chords upside down (this is the worst thing ever)
2. Switch the strings (the top being the thick E string). This is normal

Since I was playing a "kapok" (for non-Malaysian, "kapok" stands for the acoustic guitar), this is not a problem. But how can I switch the strings for electric guitar? It was a bad idea to switch a brand new guitar. And then you;ll see that the volume will be upside down, etc.

I want to buy a new one. The cheapest I can get in Penang is around RM1600 (that is after discount). The brand is Ibanez. I thought I don't need an Ibanez just to play simple chords. I'm not a newbie, but not a pro either. I would say I'm a novice or amateur.

After wandering around Penang with bike with buddy of mine, we really couldn't get a good deal. My budget is just below RM1000.

So I think I have no choice but to go for right-hand and switch it over. Bad bad idea, but I'm desperate. I need to buy amplifier too.

On Sunday, my guitar guru gave me a call and say that they have cheap lefthand guitar at Sg Petani. I thought, well, I can get to Sg. Petani with my Modenas Kristar, no problem. I gave the guy a call and they have it for RM520 !. Wow, I don't know what's the brand but I don't care. Fortunately they have a branch in Jalan Raja Uda (Prai). FYI, they even have Squire (by Fender) for RM900+. The shop has pretty good deal.

No matter, I went there (board the famous Penang ferry) and wandering around a bit finally found their shop. The shop is Fusion Music (or something like that). They're good people. I spend about an hour chatting with the owner, testing several guitars, and finally satisfied.
I thought that since this guy is nice, why not buying the amp from him too (despite the fact that I have to carry it over the ferry with my bike).

Fortunately, it's not raining. The whole process is darn tiring, but I'm satisified. I went to bed with broad smile.

No comments:

About Me

I'm currently a software engineer. My specific interest is games and networking. I'm running software company called Nusantara Software.